Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Feria de Sevilla :)

Sevilla is known for two massive festivals each year, the first being semana santa and the second being Feria de Abril which has just finished here. Feria is unlike anything I have ever experienced nor ever will, unless I come back again that is. It is something that cannot truly be put into words. It started last Sunday night when they lit up this massive gate to the entrance. We all paraded down the street in our nicest dresses and stood anxiously in front of it waiting for it to be illuminated. I have never been to New York for New Year's but it had a very "ball is about to drop" vibe to it. People were cheering and elated feria was about to begin. None of the API kids had ever experienced Feria so none of us knew what to do after the portada lit up. We just followed the locals and were floored by what we saw. It was like we were transported to a different world. There were cobblestone streets and horse drawn carriages everywhere. The streets were lined with casetas, which are basically private tents that Sevilla's elite all chip in on to own a part of and then they party there all week with their closest friends. About 90% of the casetas are private, meaning the other 10% are public and anyone can go in them. The private ones are much more fun. If you were lucky to get an invite into one, and make it past the security guard, you would be sure be treated with a liter of rebujito, the official drink of Feria. It was a mix of manzanilla sherry wine and 7up served in a pitcher but you are supposed to drink it out of a shot glass. Confusing I know.
When we werent tearing up the caseta scene, making an idiot out of ourselves pretending to know the Sevillianas dance, we were admiring the amazing flamenco dresses. These dresses were out of this world, and I dont think I saw the exact same dress twice. They loved a good polka dot pattern and bright color combination. They gave everyone such nice figures and I totally would have gotten one if they werent 300 euros! And thats on the cheaper side for these dresses. The custom ones cost around 1000 euros, oh and these girls usually have three or four dresses for the week!
Perhaps my favorite part of feria was the carnvial ride section. This was not your average state fair, they had like Six Flag style rides, but they came at a ridiculous price. You had to pay per ride and it would change per day but usuallly went from 3-5 euros and with the dollar being as weak as it is right now, that would run me $4.50-7.00 yeyyy exchange rates :) But I dont think Spain knows what safety regulations are since they had the fastest ferris wheel I have ever seen as well as cages on the swinging ship instead of rows of seats. To end the week there was a fantastic fireworks show bringing a close to a party filled insane week. And for me it was the last Sunday I was going to have in Sevilla! :( Its kind of like the fireworks symbolized the end of the most perfect semester of my school career. Only five more days until the US of A. I am trying not to think of that all right now and focusing on the three finals that stand between me and summer. Now I must be off to study all about Modern Arab History for my exam tomorrow. Besitos a todos. Playtime so soon :)
Mid lighting of the Feria Gate

Horse drawn carriages down the rows of casetas

All dressed up

carnival

gate

last night of feria :(

Firework show!

No comments:

Post a Comment