Thursday, February 24, 2011

Being Spontanous For Once In My Life

As I sit on my terrace writing this blog, I am wearing only a skirt and tank top (sorry I have to rub it in :)) I realize how lucky I really am to be here. Not only for the amazing weather that Sevilla brings but for everything that Sevilla has brought to me. I have challenged myself in ways I could never even dream of here. Setting up a Spanish pay as you go phone is nearly impossible but somehow I managed to make it though. Everyone here as been more than accommodating and speaking in Spanish all day, everyday is getting easier and easier.

When one of my best friends from home returned from her study abroad in Copenhagen last semester, I asked her what she missed most while in Denmark. She said the thing she missed most was signs being in English. I found that to be a strange response at first but now having been in Spain for four weeks already, I know exactly what she means. Being completely surrounded bu the unfamiliar is a huge challenge. I miss being able to read newspaper headlines and understanding the humor or understanding menus totally. I go through phases of having sever Amherst withdrawls or crusing around in tori, I wouldnt trade this for anything. Everyone needs to study abroad if they have the chance. I am going to do everything I can to ensure that my younger sister and brother do!

One of the amazing perks of being abroad is that it is sometimes easier to get to a different country than it is to get to a different state at home. I am currently in the midst of packing for my great adventure. My roommate Kelly, our friend Randi and I are all going to the airport first thing tomorrow morning and buying the cheapest ticket out of Sevilla. I dont know where it will lead us, so packing, especially for me, is disastrous. Who knows if we will end up in a beachy location like the Canary Islands or someone a lot colder like Austria. This is so unlike me to not have a perfect plan for this weekend. When I told my friends, I am quite certain they thought I was joking. I am majoring in event planning so having a back up for everything is what I am good at. Not having a Plan A is absolutely flooring me, but in a strange way, it is exhilarating. I'll update my blog when I get back to detail my grand adventures!! Europe awaits :) xo  

No comments:

Post a Comment