Wednesday, February 16, 2011

La Lluvia En Sevilla Es Maravilla

Lies, lies, lies. The rain in Sevilla is not a marvel. It is actually rather depressing. This is the fourth day in a row of the rain in a city which supposedly only gets 17 days of rain a year. I just need to make it through tomorrow and I will be all set. On Friday, API is taking us on our first excursion since being in Sevilla. We are going to Granada  for the weekend! I can't wait for a change of scenery. It will be a little over three hours by bus away. When all 52 of us travel together, it feels more like an overnight camp rather than a college trip but nonetheless, its still such a blast. Granada is home to the amazing La Alhambra, which is Arabic means the red palace. It was a Moorish castle in the 14th century so I cannot wait to witness this. Another thing about Granada which I am pumped about...the pomegranates! Granada means pomegranate in Spanish and I hear that they grow on the trees as freely as oranges grow in Sevilla! Finally, Granada is known for their Arab baths and massages, so during some of our free time there, a bunch of the APIers booked a bath and massage!!! I should have some great stories after my weekend there :)

So since I love lists so much I figured I would do a list the best and worst things about Spain so far...
BEST THINGS
1. Alcohol here is ridiculously cheap...and drinking in public isnt frowned upon. 
2. Knowing that even though the weather sucks right now, it is so much better than the weather at home
3. Being able to go to another country for the weekend and its no big deal
4. The fact that I am getting college credit for being in another country for 4 months
5. I can never be in a bad mood here since everything is so beautiful 
6. Peacocks wander freely outside in parks
7. Everyone here is so in love, which is a little bit of a double edge sword. But it is precious to see
8. Not having to do any chores here. Our senora literally kicks us out of the kitchen when we try and help
9. I thoroughly enjoy the fact that Spain does not seem to know what homework is
10. The children here are so precious. I want to take one home with me
 

WORST THINGS
1. No one here appreciates hockey or even knows what it is for that matter
2. Everything being closed during siesta time from 2-5 and all day Sundays make it so annoying when I want to go shopping
3. They eat more carbs than ANYONE should 
4. Not being able to text whenever I want to
5. The awkward cat calls by the sketchy Spanish men for sure get old after a while
6. Being here makes me crave the most random American foods like peanut butter and salad dressing
7. The men dress so well here so it makes it very challenging to tell if they are in fact stylish or gay
8. Dryers are unheard of so air dried jeans really suck...oh and the fact that the neighbors can checkout your collection of lacy underwear is a real bonus
9. Spanish guys are so short, they make me feel like a giant...but a certain someone told me I really shouldn't be so judgemental
10. My bestest friends aren't here with me :(

My underwear are literally on display for the neighbors enjoyment

French Embassy

View of the city from the top of La Giralda

Casual bike ride with 25 American girls


No comments:

Post a Comment