Friday, February 11, 2011

Escuela...Spanish Style

So I started classes this week. It had been almost two months since I had been in any sort of classes. Starting the spring semester in a cardigan and sunglasses is such a total 180 from the usual peacoats and uggs I have become so accustomed to wearing in Amherst until mid April. Getting all the emails from administration about yet another snow day or delayed start due to snow makes me appreciate the Sevillian weather that much more. 

I am now a student at the Universidad de Sevilla. I dont think I could ask for a more gorgeous school. It is an old tobacco factory, so it is just one building, but this place is massive. They have so many courtyards with beautiful fountains. So many students congregate there to smoke, which is gross but definitely part of the Spanish lifestyle. But apparently having a college campus is an American thing. Since the building is just one big square you would think that you would be able to easily find your away around. Yeah think again on that one. For example I have a class in Aula XXVII which happens to be on the first floor next to Aula XI and across from Aula 103, so go figure on that one. I can somehow manage to find my way around UMass but I can't find a simple classroom in one building. It will definitely take sometime getting used to it.

I originally wanted to take a joke semester and enroll in classes taught solely in English. When some of the classes I wanted to take got canceled, I decided to basically go big or go home and switch into all classes in Spanish. Never in my life have I ever taken a class in Spanish that wasn't all about learning the language. I only have two classes a day which is nice. On Mondays and Wednesdays I have classes from 11-1 and then 5-7. I have a class all about the Modern Arab World and how it influences the Spanish culture then at night I have one all about Spanish cooking and cuisine. As all my roommates are well aware, I should not be allowed within 10 feet of the kitchen. Hopefully I can bring to 250 Noho my newly acquired cooking skills but then again I can't make any promises. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I have classes from 9-1. Kelly and I are taking this wicked interesting class all about Spain's Image Projected though Film. Its basically all about how everyone else views Spain based on Spanish cinema. The teacher is great so I think i am really going to love that class. Finally, I end the day with a thrilling Spanish Grammar issues class. As much as grammar sucks, it will be so useful to improve my Spanish. It is so challenging to take classes in a completely different language. I have never concentrated so hard in a class because I try so hard to comprehend exactly whats being said and then to take notes down in Spanish all while still trying to listen to the professor chatting away in Spanish.

But finishing classes early on Thursdays and having no classes on Fridays is convenient if I ever chose to travel on the weekends. Ive already booked two trips so far!! One is to London to see Sam the last weekend of March and it just so happens that Caroline is going to be there the same weekend....yeyyy 250A cuddlefest reunion <3 The next trip that I booked, I just did last night because I found a cheap flight, its to Barcelona!!! I'm going to Barca the second weekend in April. I cant wait to frolic in the Mediterranean with Lily :)

I couldn't be more in love with Spain then I am right now. Don't be surprised if I don't come home in May....but seriously, if I could round up tritown and Amherst and bring them to Sevilla, that would be beyond ideal. But its time for lunch now, which happens everyday at 230 but I'll try and blog again soon. xo
One of the courtyards at the universidad

Main entrance at school

Staircase in school
 

No comments:

Post a Comment